Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Nessie Got Spayed

I'm one of those dog mamas. The kind that carries dog treats in their purse even when they don't have their dogs with them. The kind that kisses their dogs right on the lips. I'm the kind that would move mountains to protect their dogs.

My dogs are my children. I'm also a new dog mama. I've had dogs my entire life, but none that I could claim as my own. And like all new mothers, I'm a worry-wart and a bit overprotective.

Because we are fostering Nessie at the moment, the shelter made an appointment for her to get spayed. I knew it was necessary, but seeing my dog in pain was awful. She is mostly recovered and is back to her old self. But the recovery felt like months instead of 5 days.

Day 1

It all started on November 14th. I drove Nessie through 15 miles of desert to a weather-beaten building. We arrived early, at 7: 45, and had to wait until they opened at 8 o'clock in the morning. I wasn't expecting to wait and had carried Nessie to the door. She's a 18 lbs, so by the time they unlocked the doors my arms felt like falling off. I was nervous. I had images of saying goodbye to Nessie while they put needles hooked to IVs into her. I imagined a cold, metal exam table and being ushered out the room so they could start the surgery. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

My parents' dog, Dusty, was fixed before we finished the adoption process. It was the summer before 6th grade and I had found him two days after the 4th of July. The day after his surgery we took him home to join our family and he peed in the car. It smelled like asparagus. But this time I didn't have my parents with me. It was my dog that I was taking.

Would she hate going to the vet from now on? Would she be angry with me for taking her to that mean place that made her hurt? How do I even care for a dog after surgery? I had a billion questions in my head and not a single answer.

I drove home after dropping her off and Princess and I spent the rest of the day playing and getting the house clean.

Princess and I posing for the camera
She even played a little Xbox with me.
Princess the Puppy plays Xbox with me.
Six thirty rolled around and I drove back across the desert to pick Nessie up. I couldn't stop the flow of thoughts floating through my mind. How would Nessie handle the bumpy road after her surgery? How would I get her in the car without hurting her? And how would I keep her and Princess separate for the next few days? 

When they brought Nessie out, I was amazed at how active she was. She was so happy to see me I knew my fears of her hating me were silly. I kissed her right on the lips in front of a room full of people and I didn't care. I had my Nessie back and she was okay.

We needed to keep Princess away, which was difficult, so we put Nessie's bed in Princess' sleeping crate and gently put her inside with her food bowl and some water. I was terrified of hurting her every time I had to pick her up. But she was an angel.

Nessie resting after her surgery
Princess trying to free Nessie from prison

Fast Forward

On the 17th, we let Princess and Nessie hang out for the first time. They still couldn't play too hard, but we let them roll around a little bit. Princess was so happy to have her buddy back. Nessie was less excited about the whole thing. Even after two very long walks, Princess was a too aggressive for Nessie's taste. She could often be found hiding under the bed, on top of the bed, or on top of the couch where Princess struggled to reach her.

Today they are best of buds, again. They've been playing for hours but their playing is notably more tame than it was pre-surgery. Thank goodness.

Did you have any pre-doggy-surgery worries that turned out to be just silly?

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment